Monday 15 August 2016

A day out: Thorpe Perrow

Hi!

I hope you all had a brilliant weekend. Yesterday me and my family went on a day out and we went to Thorpe Perrow Arboretum, so I thought I would tell you all about it!



Thorpe Perrow Arboretum

Thorpe Perrow Arboretum is located in the south of Bedale, not far from Ripon (for those of you who don’t know where that is, it’s in the Yorkshire Moors) and it’s a bird of prey and mammal centre! We last visited Thorpe Perrow a few years ago and I really enjoyed visiting here.
Thorpe Perrow has all kinds of different birds and mammals such as: meerkats, wallabies, ferrets, hawks, falcons and owls. They even have some unusable birds such as a pair of kookaburras and a cara cara bird.





Although we didn’t do it this time round, Thorpe Perrow hold flying demonstrations at 1:30pm and 3:30pm. Last time I was lucky enough to take part and I got to hold a lesser buzzard! They also do a “Meet the Owls” at 11:30am where they tell you all about the different owls they have there.

My favourite part of Thorpe Perrow is the mammal section as they have my all-time favourite animal, MEERKATS! I’ve always loved meerkats ever since I was obsessed with Meerkat Manor back in Year 9 (Yes, I was such a nerd!). This time I spotted 5 meerkats and I spent a good 5 minutes watching them and taking lots of photo’s. 





Another mammal I really like are wallabies and I’ve loved them ever since I was little. Thorpe Perrow has a section called Wallaby Woods, were you can see all the wallabies. It was quite a warm day when we went, so they were all tucked up in the shade. 



As well as the bird and mammal centre, Thorpe Perrow also has the gardens (100 acres!), which is basically a woodland walk. It’s very scenic and picturesque!

If you want a day out I would definitely recommend Thorpe Perrow to you, especially if you love birds of prey and mammals!



No comments: