Thursday 25 August 2016

Lets talk about mental health #2: Social Stigma

Hi!

In today's society there is still so much stigma surrounding mental health and those who suffer with mental health problems. People don't often realise the stigma surrounded by those who are affected by mental health problems can have a negative impact on their lives.

As part of my "Lets talk about mental health" series, I have been asking fellow bloggers for their thoughts and opinions on social stigma and mental health.



Mental Health and Social Stigma: Allie M


The lovely Allie M got in touch with me and I asked her some questions about mental health and social stigma. Here are Allie's responses to my questions!



Do you think there is alot of stigma surrounding mental health?

Yes, I do, but not all the time. So perhaps not a lot-but a noticeable amount. I find it's more with parents/adults who don't understand mental health and will just assume that the person with the problem is being lazy/ungrateful/over dramatic.

Why do you think there is stigma surrounding mental health? 

I think it's because lots of people aren't completely educated about it, or they don't realize that it is very hard to talk about it, so if someone isn't being completely upfront or clear with you it doesn't mean they're lying-it means they're afraid to be open about that subject. Or that somehow by having a mental illness/disorder you're less of a person which is simply not true.
 



Do you believe mental health problems are stereotyped?  

In certain situations, yes. I don't believe it is as bad as it was, let's say, a decade ago, because now it's being brought up more often and more people are aware of it. 

What do you think are the most common stereotypes of mental health, why?

(Social) Anxiety=weird, nerd, dumb. Depressed=bitchy, unnecessarily moody, sensitive. I think it's because it's easier to make fun of a person than try to understand what they're going through-how life is for them and how you can help.

Thank you to Allie M for taking part! If you would like to take part, please let me know!







No comments: