Saturday 6 August 2016

Eat well for less: Chorizo and bean stew

Hello!

With going to university in September I desperately need to learn how to cook. The other night I had the BIG achievement of cooking a meal for my family for the first time! My family really enjoyed what I cooked them and it tasted amazing.

I’ve recently been watching the “Eat Well for less” series and with living on a budget, whilst at university, I choose one of their recipes. All the eat well for less recipes are healthy and made on a budget.

I choose the chorizo and bean stew to cook for my family (when I say family I mean my parents and brother).



Ingredients (to serve 4)

· Sunflower oil (the actual recipe uses rapeseed oil but you can pretty much use any oil you want to heat the pan up)
· 220g chorizo
2 onions
2 garlic cloves
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
2 tins of cannellini beans in water
handful fresh flatleaf parsley
crusty bread
salt and ground black pepper

Method

1. Finely dice the onions and crush the garlic cloves

2 .Heat the oil in a frying pan using a medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic and chorizo. Cook until the food starts to go orange, stirring from time to time, until soft.

3. Add the two tins of tomatoes and stir occasionally. Wait for the tomatoes to begin to bubble (TIP: If you want to get all tomatoes out of the tin, add some boiling water, swirl around and then empty the rest into the pan)

4. Whilst waiting for the tomatoes to begin to bubble, drain the beans

5. Once the tomatoes begin to bubble, add beans. Also add in the salt and pepper and stir well.

6. Cover with lid, turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.

7. Just before you serve the stew, chop the parsley up finely, add to stew and stir well

8. Serve the stew with crusty bread



This recipe is simple and really easy to follow, perfect if you’re a beginner like me! 


     

No comments: